Banksville is located southwest of Downtown, in the 20th ward, and is surrounded by Beechview and Ridgemont. It is quickly accessible to the new Pittsburgh International Airport.
Banksville was established on land settled by David and Agnes Carnahan of Ireland. Their son, Alexander, named the 400 acres for his wife whose maiden name was Banks. Alexander Carnahan laid out Banksville just after the Civil War. The town was a farming community as well as a properous mining town whose settlers were mostly Scotch-Irish.
Today, Banksville residents take full advantage of Banksville Park which opened in 1977 and today has developed into a beautiful facility that has a swimming pool, a playground rehabilitated in the year 2000, tennis courts, ballfields and a community center. Banksville Elementary School has also been a main stay in this well rounded community, built in 1937 this school at one time was for grades K-8 and a gifted center. However, recently it was decided that this community school enroll grades K-5.
The housing in Banksville ranges from stately older homes to contemporary styles built within the last thirty years. Much of the neighborhood is surprisingly suburban in nature, with homes attractively set off by sweeping, manicured lawns and flower beds. This neighborhood is also home to two of the city's largest garden apartment complexes, Hyland Hills and Crane Village. In addition to its proximity to shopping and entertainment in Downtown, the neighborhood is the home to Parkway Center Mall.
Banksville's residents are very family oriented, with much of the community activity focusing on youth programs and family fun.