NO RECENT ALERTS

Perry Hilltop (Perry South)

 
 
  Perry Hilltop (formerly Perry South) is one of the most diverse neighborhoods in a truly diverse city. This close-knit community, located on the Northside of Pittsburgh, boasts a heterogeneous population of working-class and professional households that work to maintain stable, affordable and secure homes for their families.

Perry Hilltop features spectacular views of downtown Pittsburgh, rows of architecturally stimulating buildings and dozens of smiling children. Close to Interstate 279 and Ohio River Boulevard (Route 65), residents are only minutes from downtown attractions and McKnight Road shopping.

Riverview Park, a favorite gathering place, is just minutes from the community. It features tennis courts, horse and bike trails, a ball field, picnic groves, a playground, swimming pool and the Allegheny Observatory. People jog, bike, walk their pets and meet neighbors there, occasionally glimpsing deer and wild turkeys.

This community offers public transportation, schools, churches, stores, recreational centers, swimming pool and senior citizens facilities. The Perry Point townhouses provide striking views of the city and North Shore development. The Triangle Tech technical school attracts students from all over the region. Other institutions located here include the Reformed Presbyterian Home, The Pittsburgh Project, Mom¿s House and Pressley Ridge Work School.

Perry Hilltop's history is as colorful as the night view of downtown Pittsburgh. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania purchased the area, formerly part of the City of Allegheny, from the Indians in 1784. The City of Allegheny was then annexed to Pittsburgh in 1907. Federal Street and Perrysville Avenue trace a path approximate to the historic Venango Indian Trail, a trail once used by Commodore Perry to carry supplies to Erie for his naval battles during the British War of 1812. A small civil war fort, Fort McKeever, at the present site of Pressley Ridge School, was built to protect the hilltop from Confederate attack from the Ohio River. The original McKeever farmhouse still stands on Maginn Street at Katherine.
 
 
  Other Groups Other Watch Groups in Zone 1  
   
© 2018 City of Pittsburgh
all rights reserved