NO RECENT ALERTS

Spring Garden

 
 
  Early German immigration into Pennsylvania began in 1683 and saw three large waves of immigration before our revolution in 1776. Benjamin Franklin noted his admiration for their determination and work ethic.
The 1800s saw its own wave of immigration which included the many Germans who settled in what became known as ¿Deutschtown¿ in Allegheny City, and the skilled and hard working people founded businesses and singing clubs and were welcome additions to the fast-growing area. The Teutonia Männerchor, the largest German Club in the city, was founded in 1854 in Deutschtown.
The most recent small wave of German immigration to our area followed World War II, as young people who had lived through that war as children moved to America to join family and friends who had emigrated earlier.
By the 2000 census, German roots were among the most commonly listed for our state and region, and the natural beauty of Western Pennsylvania was often described as reminiscent of the homeland these immigrants had left behind.
Of course, this is not to say that other nationalities did not move in to Spring Garden and Deutschtown! The Irish came in large numbers in the late 1800s, as did the Jews. In November 1885, the Jewish Reform Movement held an important summit at the Concordia Club, then in Deutschtown, and the resultant pivotal document, the Pittsburgh Platform, was signed by eighteen rabbis. Encouraging ecumenical dialogue, the document was adopted by the Union of American Hebrew Congregations.
The homes and the atmosphere in Deutschtown and Spring Garden reflect the traditional values of the immigrants who settled in those neighborhoods. Some of the most eclectic architecture and decoration in the city may be found in the hillsides of Spring Garden and the close-knit neighborhood of Deutschtown.
 
 
  Other Groups Other Watch Groups in Zone 1  
   
© 2018 City of Pittsburgh
all rights reserved